Monday, January 14, 2013

Timelapse video of crystal growth in novelty toy

I used my programmable turntable and camera control to create a timelapse video of crystal growth on a small novelty toy. I took one photo (1920x1080) every two minutes, and advanced the turntable by about 3/4 of a degree between photos. I encoded the photos into a 29.97fps timeline in Adobe Premiere, but used two video frames for each photo, so 1 second of playback = 15 photos = 30 minutes. I covered the windows in my shop with black plastic to prevent sunlight from changing the scene as morning arrived. Each exposure was 1/10 at ISO100 f/8, with standard fluorescent lighting in my shop.

3 comments:

  1. Looks like a beefy slew ring. More deets on the turntable, please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. super inexpensive slew rings can be found on ebay.
    A cursory search fond these http://www.ebay.com/itm/300mm-Turn-Table-Heavy-Duty-Lazy-Susan-Bearing-330-lbs-/400139616773?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d2a2e0205

    you'll have to be creative with the search
    slewing rings yielded only one slew ring $$$

    ReplyDelete